How Ready Are You to Work with Professional Sales Companies?
One of the questions manufacturers need to ask themselves before starting a rep search is, are we really ready and prepared to go to work with a network of professional sales company partners? Jumping in before you are ready could have disastrous consequences. We’ve prepared the following questionnaire to help guide you to a realistic decision.
- Do you have extensive experience working successfully with manufacturers’ representatives?
- Are you willing to consider using an agreement that is fair, balanced, and protects the interest of both parties?
- Will you consider sharing the costs of developing business in territories where there is no existing business?
- Will you provide exclusive territories to your reps (no house accounts)?
- Will add your reps as “additional insured” on your product liability policy?
- Do you have a complete marketing support plan ready to support your outside sales program?
- Is the top management of your company committed to the use of reps?
- Are you willing to make a long-term commitment to a fair and competitive commission rates?
- Will you collaborate with manufacturers’ representatives to set mutually agreed upon sales goals rather than setting arbitrary quotas?
- Do you understand that requiring “call reports” is not standard practice when working with manufacturers’ representatives? Will you accept timely verbal and email communication as important events unfold rather than requiring a monthly or weekly report?
- Do you agree that your company and your reps should operate as Partners in Profits rather than employer/employee?
If you answered “no” to more than just a couple of these questions, don’t despair. We can help. Please call MANA toll-free at (877) 626-2776 and we’ll be happy to discuss ways for you to overcome these concerns.